Friday, November 12, 2010

Mom's Work is Never Done

Do you ever have one of those days when you wonder how you're going to get it all done?  Seems to me, that's the mother's constant dilemma.  At work, I teach my classes, and at the end of the semester, it's done--over.  There's a finite end to what I do, and I get to reinvent myself at the beginning of every semester.  But at home, there's always another:

1. pile of laundry to fold

2. dish to wash

3. meal to prepare

4. school paper to sign

5. bill to pay

6. repair person to call

7. room to pick up

8. cabinet to clear out

9. toy to cull out of the hordes of toys not played with

10. bathroom to clean

11. birthday present to buy

12. lunch to pack


13. phone call to return


14. email to sort


15. sibling rivalry to manage


16. pet poop to pick up


17. library book to find and return before the due date


18. crust of pizza to pick up from behind the couch


19. floor to wash

20. playdate to schedule


21. child that needs something

And while the twins are old enough to do most things by themselves, it's the mom's job, MY job to make sure that everything that needs to get done (at home and at work) is in my massively cluttered brain, compartmentalized in easily recalled pockets.

And you tell me the holidays are coming?  Wait, now there's another:

1. gift to buy

2. photo to pick for the holiday card

3. holiday card to send

4. present to wrap

5. party to plan

Like I said, it's never-ending.  What's on your "always another" list?

No comments: