Saturday, November 27, 2010

Keeping Black Friday Black

I think Black Friday gets a bad rap. I read an article today that focused on how people will mow over anyone to get the deal. I don't see it that way.

Even talking to my friends and family members, I get the rolled eyes and the, "Oh God! I would never do that. I mean, it's so indulgent." And, "We just don't do that many gifts."

I think the media paints the whole experience in a negative light focusing on the most outrageous of shoppers rather than those who see gift giving as an act of love and who see shopping on Black Friday as a way to cash in on savings that are, in some cases, better than any other time of the year.

My brother-in-law, in the market for a new washer and dryer, saved 50%. The store sold out of this deal in 2 hours. There's a sense of accomplishment in saving money. It feels good.

My experience was the opposite of the frenetic, intense knock down drag out fight for getting mine. I see Black Friday as a shared exercise in zen. You have to wait. You have to take time to park. You need to look out for your fellow shoppers and the store clerks who are doing their best in the face of the chaos. I take a deep breath. I think. I listen.

I'm staying positive this holiday season and while I'm not spending extravagantly, I am doing what I can for the economy staying calm all the while.

What's your thought on it?

No comments: