Monday, November 15, 2010

Mmmmmm--Brussels Sprouts

One of the best parts about living in near Hollywood, is the Hollywood Farmer's Market on Sundays.  DG goes every week and brings home the most amazing produce--strawberries, green beans, and sometimes jujubes.  So since I am only getting to cook about twice a week right now, I'm excited when we get something good from the Farmer's Market.  This week, it was Brussels sprouts. 

I HATED Brussels sprouts for most of my life. Beyond bitter, the smelly, little cabbages were never a first choice in my culinary side dish repertoire. So you can imagine what the kids think of them.  I've only recently learned how to cook them so that I like them. I used two ingredients that cut the bitterness and made them palatable.  Sugar and vinegar.  I sauteed the Brussels sprouts with some zucchini, added about a teaspoon of sugar, and when they were all cooked, I drizzled some super fancy aged balsamic vinegar over the top.

And this is what I heard after tonight's dinner:

Me to kids:  How'd you like the chicken tonight?

T1: The chicken was okay, but those Brussels sprouts were the BEST.

What weird 7-year-old boy says that?  DG suggested I write this post. "Tell people how to get their kids to eat vegetables."  Well, I'm sure I don't know that, but I do know that this recipe definitely works on these two:




Looks like they enjoyed the zucchini the most!

1 comment:

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

That is impressive. I've always hated brussel sprouts because they are so bitter. Gonna have to try that recipe.