Sunday, July 5, 2009

'Twas the Night Before the Big "Go Back"

I have been on sabbatical from my job for 12 months. That's a crazy long time to be on "vacation." Although I have been working on a project for the college, I've mostly been a stay-at-home mom. This transition back feels a little scary for me. But, like a good friend once told me, I've been working much more than not in my lifetime, so working is the norm, not staying home.

Still, it feels tentative. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and everything will be back exactly the way it was before I went on sabbatical, and I'll be comfortable in the routine. No such luck, however. I have to go through the transition--like most teachers at the end of summer vacation, or after winter break. We get through it. I bet my students feel nervous tonight too. Maybe some of them have kids they have to ship off to summer camp too. We'll all get through it.

In the meantime, it requires some organization. Here's me, getting organized to go:

Purse, check.

Work bag, check.

Sunglasses, check.

Keys, check.

Kids backpacks, check.



and what's in here? Don't forget the lunches....




The mommy creature is always stirring on the night before "going back" whether it's going back to work from a sabbatical, summer vacation, or just a weekend. You guys understand, no?

No comments: