Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quitting?

I feel like a quitter.  I've been reading blogs for months and months, but I can't bring myself to write a thing.  I'm struggling again with the work/home balance, and blogging is pretty far down the priority ladder.  What's difficult about this is that if I took the time, I might be rewarded by the wonderful personal satisfaction I get by doing something for myself alone, but there seems to be very little room for me and my interests.  So I pine away for time to percolate ideas, to share about how T1 and T2 are growing into these amazing young people, and to create an identity for myself beyond the traditional roles I find myself entrenched in, something that's creative and not connected to somebody else.  But the pressure to actually write it is insurmountable.  If I put blogging higher up on the priority ladder, something else would have to give.  Instead, I just don't do it.

So, I'm thinking about quitting.  The blogging, I mean.  Seriously, it's been months since I've written anything anyway.  I have tons to say, but I have nothing to say.  I'm torn.  What should I do?

4 comments:

notmytree said...

If you're feeling such immense pressure to blog, then maybe it's become something other than what you meant it to be. Feeling that pressure isn't healthy or pleasant. I love reading what you have to say, but not if it comes at the cost of your emotional well-being. I'll just call you more often to hear what you have to say. (:

MomAgain@40 said...

Please don't quit! I loved coming here to read... You have a wonderful gift! Reconsider! :D

LauraJean said...

I agree with Caitlin that feeling pressure to blog should not be the impetus for writing. That being said, any creative pursuit necessarily comes with a degree of anxiety--a need to express yourself and/or put something out into the world versus finding the catalyst to begin the process. That initial spark can be most elusive. But it is only through trying that the ultimate rewards are felt. And sometimes your trying will result in something less than satisfying, and that's ok, too. I was told recently, in response to my fears about--well, everything--fail, then fail harder. I think your writing is really evolving. I would encourage you to continue. But don't put a lot of pressure on yourself to necessarily do it regularly. Just maybe also don't decide to quit entirely, either. xo

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Sounds like you have the spark, the ideas that are percolating, but you just don't have the time right now. No big deal. We'll all still be here when you do have more time.

oxox